Sunday, November 25, 2007

Little Kids


Today, I was doing yoga and had a missed call from Jen. I listened to my messages and it was not Jen, it was Owen. The message was simple... "Noni, call Owie." I about cried. Oh, and if you are wondering, Noni = me. We don't know why, but I tend to respond.

I called him back and apparently he had been trying to tell Jen something and she was not understanding. He was trying to talk to her about the mean train we read about in the Thomas the Train book. Jen was unaware that we had called the little brown train a "mean chomp chomp" due to the mad face he has on and the weird little tractor-like claw on his head. When Owen said, "Mee Chomp Chomp" she didn't have the context. Owen knew that I would know what he was saying and told Jen to "ask Noni." Can you get anymore innocent and sweet than that?

I am grateful everyday for my nieces and nephews. I remember when I first met Alysa. She was so little and beautiful. I cried.

I remember last Thanksgiving when Emilee came up to Washington and Max let me hold him while we watched Toy Story. He didn't like me much before that day, but was so cute just sitting on my lap trying to stay awake to watch the movie.

I remember going home to Utah to see Ryan and holding his little hand and being so amazed at how tiny he was. He was so miniature and so trusting.

I remember the first time Owen called me Noni. I was so happy that I had a name and that he was noticing me.

Life is all about kids and the little things they do.

2 comments:

lorioreo said...

You have always had such a tender heart. Thanks for the story about Owen. He is growing so fast and getting so old. I was going through some of the boxes in the basement and looked through some of your old papers. I got some smiles when I saw some of your drawings and reports you did when you were little. You are right...Little kids are great but big kids make great friends. :) Check out my blog. I posted today.

Emilee said...

I am crying! I love my kids and love that you love them too!! They are so sweet.

Alysa was so excited today to go to school and do her show and teach. She was going to teach the class to make reindeer candy canes. I sent her to school with bags will one candy cane, one pipe cleaner, one red pompom and 2 google eyes for 24 kids - each had instructions on the bag :) She was going to show the class how to make them and give them each one to take home and make. I loved helping her. It is the little things that matter most.