Saturday, April 6, 2013

We tasted freedom!!

So, the sad part of the story is that for the past week we have been S.I.C.K. sick at our house! Coughs, fevers, tissues, headaches, grumpy kids, etc. We picked up this nasty cold in Utah and haven't been able to shake it. We are using oils, spicy foods, and washing a lot of hands, but it is slowly moving its way through each one of us. First Evan, then Wesley, now Steve and I. I long for the days of healthy, happy boys in my house! However, along with this cold and the dreaded fevers, we also got to experience a tiny bit of freedom. Freedom from what? The blasted helmet of course!! When Wesley woke up from his nap late Wed night and was on fire! One of our explicit instructions for helmet wearing was to remove the helmet at first sign of a fever and to keep it off until the fever had been gone for 24 hours. We obediently removed the helmet on Wed night and got to keep it off until Friday afternoon! Almost two full days without the little blue Orthotic device. It was amazing! Two days without a bath (his eczema totally cleared up- not a flair up anywhere without all the bath soaps and shampoos!) He slept wonderfully ( although I woke up numerous times from bad dreams of soft heads and misshapen bones...).

I understand the benefit of a fever as the body fights off the bad stuff, but I usually sort of fear a fever. This time, however, I was kind of disappointed to feel his head on Friday and find a normal temperature. The little helmet had to go back on. Wesley was fine. Life returned to normal (well, normal with this hideous cold), BUT we tasted a little bit of freedom and I absolutely cannot wait until the time comes for freedom to be our normal and for the time when the little blue helmet can be left at home without guilt or fear!

2 comments:

Kathi and Bob said...

So sorry to hear of the sickness, but the light shone a little bright as you experienced how nice it will be when the helmet is off for good!

BYU Hottie said...

Yay for the helmet-free future! What a relief to look forward to...
You caught that nasty cold too? All 4 of us had it here as well. Bleh.