Saturday, July 30, 2011

negative $29 dollars and positive $42 dollars later!!

I had been wrestling with the idea of taking my computer out of the guest room and putting it in the living room where all of Evan's toys were.  I was thinking that this would be a good idea because lately he hasn't wanted me to come into the guest room to work during the day.  We would be playing cars, my office phone would ring, I would jump up to go and get it, he would follow me with quick little feet and then start crying the minute I sat down at my desk.  He would pull on my arm, my mouse, my phone.  My emails were beginning to pile up and my stress level was rising (to put it mildly).

I proposed the idea to Steve.  Me: "Should I bring my computer out here to the living room?"  Steve: "No." 
Ok.  Plan B.

The thoughts in my head began moving..."Maybe I could bring the toys to the guest room.  That might be a better idea.  It is just so crowded in there with the bed and the shelf full of linens and books (no storage space here).  I guess I could take the bed out.  Yes, that might work.  BUT where will Bob and Kathi stay when they come down?  OH, Did Emilee just say Aerobeds are on sale at Costco... that could work. Yes, I will buy one of those.  I could take the regular bed to dad's (to store it) in case we want it back.  Hmmm.  Oh, dad and Kristi you will drive down here and pick up the bed?  Thank you!  Now, what about this shelf with linens and books?  I guess we don't reallly need the books now that we both have e-readers and the linens can fit in the other shelf in the living room..."

Fast forward a few days -- Dad and Kristi have taken said bed to the barn, 1/2 Price Books pays me $42.00 for our books and I find an adorable kid's size table and chairs on Craig's List for only $29.00!!!

Down side? The table was listed as "shabby chic" and was in desperate need of a paint job! I am not one to say that boys cannot play with girl things, in fact I did buy Evan his own stroller for pushing babies in - ("Iya" has two and he adores hers!)  BUT this was just a little too whimsy for my Handy Manny/Choo Choo/ motorcycle/lawn mower loving son.  So...


(thanks Bob for the use of the electric sander!)
and...


Needless to say I am in LOVE with it. 

Evan is also in love with it.  The first couple of days after it was done, he didn't want to sit in his high chair at the regular table for any meal.  He only wanted to sit at the baby table and even convinced Steve to eat dinner with him at the little table.  

Update on the room?  Toys are moved.  Table and chairs are strategically placed.  White board has been purchased for mounting on the back of the closet door.  Map has been purchased for framing on the wall.  Still on the lookout for: 1 bookcase, 1 area rug (I found the perfect one at Pottery Barn Kids, but then had a small heart attack when I looked at the price), and 1 bean bag (this one I may splurge on... You know how I adore Land of Nod!). 

I am very happy with the move.  On Friday, my work phone rang.  I answered it.  I talked to a client.  I checked a few emails.  I talked to my dad about a case.  I checked a few more emails.  Drafted a motion.   Worked.  Worked.  Worked.  All the while... Evan PLAYED!!!!  Hooray!  

(just wait until I break the news to Steve that a framed picture of Kinnick Stadium doesn't really go with my whole "playroom" theme...)

3 comments:

Kathi and Bob said...

Yeah for great MOM ideas...I love the way the table and chairs came out! What fun for Evan to be with his Mom AND his toys! Maybe Steve can bring his pic to work.

lorioreo said...

Love, love, LOVE the great ideas you come up with! Evan's "office" furniture is perfect for HIS job and I'm glad you two can work together in the same room! Love you, Evan and Steve!

Greg said...

Luckily, the framed picture of Kinnick would go perfectly in my workout room!