Sunday, April 11, 2010

Pretty Soon...

Starting a few weeks after he was born, Evan started having extremely dry skin on his head.  After a bath, he would look like he had a little white swim cap on (hence the name "craddle cap," I suppose).  I read on the internet that it usually just goes away on its own and there is really no need for all the chemicals you can buy to try to speed the process of getting rid of it.  "Just wait it out" was the best, most organic advice I could Google.  Grandma Lori helped by rubbing it with a towell and suggesting a nice soft brush to help get rid of it.  We kept with a routine of washing, softly rubbing with a towell to dry, and brushing.  With this routine, for the most part, the dry skin went away.  The next stage was a bunch (I should say hundreds) of little yellow scaley looking things on his head.  That was fun.  Seriously, there were hundreds of little yellow dots on his head.  Again, my friend Google said to just leave it be.  I did, and most of the scaley yellow skin has rubbed off.  Most of it. The ones that have stuck around are bringing us back to an extremely dry head.  Lovely little cycle.  It IS getting better, but today it looked so dry and I was concerned it would be itchy.   This time, I stayed away from the computer and turned to my hippiest friend, Courtney.  For my shower she had given me some natural lotion and I decided that it couldn't hurt.  Luckily, in addition to helping the dry skin, the lotion also caused his little hair to stand up all over!  I totally loved it.  Hopefully the little dry skin will heal quickly... but if it doesn't, at least I have awesome rock star hair (that is about 1 cm long) to look forward to.

P.S.   It won't be long now until Evan has more hair than his dad!

3 comments:

Court said...

Awww. I love that lotion! (I actually use it myself.) Miss you guys!

Patti :) said...

All my boys had this fun stuff-the thing that worked the best was to use the lotion in their bath water and to take a soft toothbrush and bruch his head in the tub-lol it sounds funny but it worked

Kristi Neeleman said...

Also (and I know you're not asking for any advice but I'm going to throw my two cents in too since I know everything), piercing a Vit E capsule and rubbing it on his head will eliminate the dry skin as well as the cradle cap. My first nephew had it, Felix and another niece of mine too. And each time, the Vit E was used and it disappeared. AND it's natural. AND it's organic (you can buy them at TJ's). AND it's a vitamin which doesn't hurt to have it on the skin.